|Position Title:||Country Director||Location:||Les Cayes, Haiti|
|Last Revised:||March 2015||Start Date:||May 1, 2015|
|Status:||X||Full Time||Part Time||Contract||Temporary|
|Reports to:||Chief Program Officer|
Mission Statement: To improve the quality of life for the Haitian people, particularly children, through education, nutrition, and healthcare.
Brief Organizational Summary: Hope for Haiti is an innovative and creative international development organization that has been working in Haiti for 25 years. The organization partners with private donors to create community-based sustainable change through a grassroots and strategic holistic approach. Hope for Haiti is an action-oriented and fast-paced organization that believes in partnership solutions to poverty alleviation. Hope for Haiti’s vision for the future is one of strategic growth in creating healthy, sustainable communities. Hope for Haiti has a distinguished and well-established Board of Directors that provides the organization with strong governance, oversight, and strategic direction. Building upon the organization’s proven track record of success, Hope for Haiti stays true to its mission and founding principles, while offering a dynamic and supportive work environment. For more information about Hope for Haiti, please visit www.hopeforhaiti.com.
Fondasyon Kuehner: Hope for Haiti is a US non-profit charitable 501c3 and is registered as a Haitian Foundation in Haiti called “Fondasyon Kuehner” in honor of Hope for Haiti’s Founder and Chair, JoAnne Kuehner.
Position Title: Country Director
Location: Les Cayes, Haiti
Reporting to the Chief Program Officer, the Country Director is Hope for Haiti’s senior representative and principal manager in Haiti responsible for the day-to-day office and program operations in-country based in Les Cayes, Haiti. The Country Director is responsible for consistent and effective management of all programs, staff and operations for Hope for Haiti/Fondasyon Kuehner in the areas of, but not limited to; education, nutrition and healthcare, clean water, infrastructure and economy. The Country Director works closely with the Chief Program Officer to ensure that the organization’s vision to create Sustainable Communities is implemented on the ground. He/She works to build and manage the team necessary to accomplish the organization’s goals and objectives while coordinating as needed with other non-profits, international agencies, the Government of Haiti, and others as appropriate.
Program Management Responsibilities:
- Works closely with the Chief Program Officer to supervise all programming personnel and staff to ensure consistent and effective program development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and budget tracking.
- Reports at least weekly to the Chief Program Officer with program and operation updates.
- Forges and maintains strong relationships with other international and national organizations and continuing to expand outreach through relevant meetings, workshops, and conferences.
- Represents Hope for Haiti and increases knowledge about Hope for Haiti’s activities locally and abroad, may require travel as needed for presentations, Board Meetings, events, etc.
- Oversees and reviews all program material prior to sending for review by the Chief Program Officer.
- Manages the calendar for program/operational activities in Haiti including; workshops, conferences, volunteer/donor trips, vacation schedules for staff etc.
- Oversees volunteer, donor, or Board mission trips and makes necessary arrangements on the ground in Haiti.
- Evaluates the feasibility and structure of potential programs, special projects including geographical location, potential program expenses, and duration of program each year and makes recommendations to the Chief Program Officer regarding the most successful program development approach.
Operations Management Responsibilities:
- Assists in recruitment/hiring of all International staff members along with the Chief Program Officer and acts as their direct manager.
- Hires all in-country Haitian staff and insuring they are properly trained and managed. Conducts goal planning and reviews for staff and works towards staff development and growth.
- Oversees all payments and payroll for local staff and day laborers.
- Oversees all Accounting and Human Resources, ensuring that Hope for Haiti / Fondasyon Kuehner Procedures are respected.
- Meets with key staff members, on a regular basis, for updates and planning.
- Finalizes in-country financial transactions (checks, wire transfers, cashier checks) and reviews weekly accounting.
- Tracks all Human Resources forms & maintains a strong relationship with the Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs.
- Oversees all operations and maintenance of Hope for Haiti/Fondasyon Kuehner assets including but not limited to: Guest House, Infirmary St. Etienne, Office, Storage, Vehicles, etc.
- Stays informed on security issues and other relevant news happenings in Haiti.
- All other issues, which might arise in the course of carrying out Hope for Haiti’s mission.
- Interacts with current and potential donors
- Looks for additional funding opportunities that may become available locally or internationally to best support the organization’s programs
- Contribute content for development related materials included, but limited to:
b. Annual Report
c. Holiday Card
d. Website/From the Fields
e. Grant Requests and Donor Reports
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE / PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Personal commitment to the mission of Hope for Haiti
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited University. Master’s Degree or equivalent experience with a focus on International Development/Non-profit or Business Management is preferred.
- Atleast three – five years of experience in developing countries in a senior management, and administrative position.
- Excellent oral, written, and public communication skills
- Advanced computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite) – proficient in both Macintosh and Microsoft products.
- Demonstrated skill and experience in program development, management, accounting, and administration.
- Applicants must be physically capable of meeting all physical responsibilities, including but not limited to walking distances over 5 kilometers and lift at least 30 lbs over the shoulders
- Experience with budget development and financial reporting
- Maintains the highest level of confidentiality with sensitive information
- Well-developed verbal and written bi-lingual communication skills in English and French, and/or Creole.
- Ability to forge a mutually respectful and productive partnership with existing development agencies, businesses, human services, and religious affiliates in Haiti and the US.
- Ability to respond appropriately and with sensitivity to the cultural differences present among the organization’s service population
- Ability to live and work in rural Haiti
- Proper documentation and authorization to travel freely between United States, Haiti, and the Dominican Republic.
- Creative self-starting abilities and strong problem solving skills
- Ability to work under pressure while maintaining a positive attitude and joyful demeanor
- Kindness and a sense of humor
- Undertake and be responsible for all other issues which might arise in the course of carrying out Hope for Haiti’s mission
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Annual salary commensurate with experience (DOE).
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing and highly respected organization. We are seeking an individual of outstanding quality with a demonstrated track record. The organization’s headquarters is based in Naples, FL, and this position is specifically based in Les Cayes, Haiti.
Note: International staff living abroad may be required to leave Haiti four times a year (at least every 3 months). The Director will live in Les Cayes, Haiti. Hope for Haiti considers this to be an unaccompanied post. Exceptions could be made depending on the individual circumstances of the partner. Workdays are Monday-Saturday and an occasional Sunday. Fieldwork may require the extension of the workday.
Hope for Haiti is currently accepting applications. Interested candidates should submit a resume along with cover letter (with references and salary requirement) to firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications must be submitted in English.
Please include “Country Director” and your Name in the subject line of the e-mail
(i.e. Country Director-John Smith).
Thank you for your interest in working with Hope for Haiti!
For more information about us please visit www.hopeforhaiti.com